2009 Meeting Minutes
To: NYSCOS Executive Committee, NYSCOS Local Boards
From: John Hogan, NYSCOS Secretary/Treasurer
Date: August 2, 2009
Subject: 2009 Annual Meeting Minutes
- Rich Leaf, the NYSCOS First Vice President called the 2009 NYSCOS Annual Meeting to order at 9:15AM, on August 1, 2009 at the Embassy Suites Hotel, Syracuse, NY.
- A roll call of attendance was taken - all boards present. Information packets and NYSPHSAA Handbooks were distributed to each representative of each board.
- The 2008 Annual Meeting minutes were reviewed. Motion to approve by Alan Wharton, second by Ed McLaughlin – the 2008 minutes were approved as provided on the NYSCOS web site.
- The 2009 treasurer’s report was presented. A handout of the details of the financial status of NYSCOS was provided to all boards and executive committee members. Motion to accept the report was made by Alan Wharton and seconded by Ed McLaughlin - the treasurer’s report was approved.
- Alexis Murphy presented the 2008 Girl’s State Championship report. The finals will be held in Cortland again in 2009. There is still a question regarding the use of the DSC for the girl’s championship. Alexis and Rich Leaf presented the girl’s referee of the year award to Keith Cartica from the Mid Hudson board – Dave Longacre, MidHudson Interpreter accepted on Keith’s behalf.
- Neil Edkins provided the boy’s 2008 Championship report. Neil provided a handout which was included in everyone’s information packet. Neil emphasized that all teams must be properly equipped with the correct jerseys and socks etc and that the regular season was the place to correct uniform problems. He also went over the preferred substitution procedure – get the incoming players on immediately and get the game going again as quickly as possible. That is a significant difference with USSF and in some cases college games. Neil, Rich Leaf and John Hogan presented the Referee of the Year award to Scott Reynolds of the Eastern Board. Scott accepted his award and provided some thank you remarks to NYSCOS.
- Ab Leonard provided the 2009 NFHS rules interpretation using a very well done MS power point presentation purchased from the NFHS by NYSCOS. NYSCOS provided copies to all local boards at the meeting – thanks to Ed McLaughlin for his computer expertise and efforts.
- The NYSCOS nominating committee presented Neil Edkins as its nomination to continue as the NYSCOS Member at Large. No nominations were received from the floor. Dan Oherron moved that the nominations be closed and that the NYSCOS secretary cast the vote to reelect Neil Edkins. Motion seconded by Doug Wilson. Neil Edkins was reelected as NYSCOS member at large.
- Several items of old business were briefly mentioned – Rosters must be submitted in the prescribed format – which is included with the roster request email; the NYSPHSAA sportsmanship card must be read – verbatim – at all games; a liability alert form was provided as a handout – do not mail to NYSCOS at the end of the season; the NYSCOS website is being updated – please check it out – during the season.
- The liability and Directors’ and Officers’ insurance was discussed – at length. The NYSCOS executive board decided that all boards would be responsible for their own insurance – we would no longer use the insurance provided by Marsh and their underwriters. A refund check of $6 would be sent to each board upon receipt of their certificate of insurance from whoever they contract with. A handout was provided to all boards from an insurance agent offering insurance. NYSCOS is not recommending any particular insurance agent or company. This significant change was brought about by the huge deductibles on our current policy and the 2008 litigation which is still pending.
- The 2010 Annual Meeting will be held July 31st, 2010 at the Embassy Suites hotel in Syracuse. Start time 9:30AM. It is critical that all boards attending the meeting be able to stay for the entire meeting. Return flights should not be booked for departures earlier than 3:00PM
- The 2009 Annual meeting was adjourned at 12:10 PM. Lunch was served in the Embassy cafe
John Hogan, NYSCOS Secretary /Treasurer